Not all betting sites are the same, and some rank higher than others. The best betting sites in Alberta have much to offer bettors, including a generous welcome bonus, competitive odds, top betting features and diverse markets.
Even though there are hundreds of betting sites, we made it our goal to deliver you our top 10 picks. Below we go over some of the best operators in the province.
Established in 2000, Bet365 is one of the best Alberta sports betting sites, if not the very best. It is licensed and regulated by the Gibraltar Gambling Commission and Malta Gaming Authority, meaning it adheres to the highest security standards.
- Welcome Bonus: 15% first deposit match up to C$60
- Speciality: Outstanding sports coverage
With a sleek and intuitive interface, Betway is among the best-looking Alberta betting sites. It was launched in 2006 and holds licenses from the Malta Gaming Authority and UK Gambling Commission. This platform is among the biggest players in the iGaming industry because of its multiple features aimed at making your experience more enjoyable. These include live betting to allow you to place bets while an event unfolds, live streaming in HD quality, and early cash out so that you can take out your winnings before a match ends.
- Welcome Bonus: 100% first deposit match up to C$200
- Sports Coverage: Football, baseball, soccer, tennis, martial arts, golf, basketball, hockey, boxing, cricket, cycling, darts, esports, formula 1, greyhounds, rugby, table tennis, volleyball
- Speciality: Numerous betting features
Launched in 1997, Sports Interaction is among the safest choices in Alberta, with licenses from the Kahnawake Gaming Commission and Jersey Gambling Commission. If you're a gamer who heavily relies on bonuses, here's where you want to be. The current welcome bonus consists of free bets worth up to C$1,000, with no wagering requirements. Other offers you can claim include “Refer a Friend” deals, Interac deposit bonus, and Pick 'Em promotions for participating in special contests.
- Welcome Bonus: 100% first deposit match up to C$1,000
- Sports Coverage: football, baseball, hockey, golf, soccer, tennis, basketball, MMA, esports, curling, boxing, table tennis, horse racing, cricket, rugby, volleyball, handball, darts
- Speciality: Great bonuses and promos
BetVictor is among the most popular Alberta sports betting sites to place bets at, offering markets for all major events worldwide. BetVictor Casino was launched in 2000 and operates with licenses from the UK Gambling Commission and Gibraltar Gambling Commission. But BetVictor isn't just secure; it also comes with numerous features, including live streaming, early cashout, and live betting. Want to know the best part? You can place bets using all these features via great mobile apps designed for Android and iOS operating systems that offer an excellent interface for betting.
- Welcome Bonus: 100% first deposit match up to C$300
- Sports Coverage: Soccer, football, hockey, baseball, basketball, FIFA, cricket, esports
- Speciality: Intuitive mobile Alberta sports betting app
Pinnacle was first introduced in 1998 to offer the most competitive odds in the betting industry. So, though it doesn't have any sportsbook promos, its sharp odds make up for this, as Alberta sports gamblers are guaranteed better returns on their bets. In addition, Pinnacle accepts some of the highest bets on popular events, making it perfect for high rollers in Alberta. The site has two licenses, from the Government of Curacao and the Malta Gaming Authority, so it's a legit choice.
- Welcome Bonus: No welcome bonus
- Sports Coverage: Soccer, esports, tennis, baseball, basketball, football, hockey, golf, cycling, formula 1, handball, horse racing, MMA, tennis, esports, rugby, snooker
- Speciality: High betting limits
888 Sports Canada is part of 888 Holdings which is regulated by the Malta Gaming Authority, Gibraltar Gambling Commission, and the UK Gambling Commission. The Alberta sports betting site is especially popular for presenting numerous betting options in an easy-to-navigate layout. These include Moneyline Bets, Point Totals, Handicap Bets, Spreads, Prop Bets, and Parlay Bets. We'll explain more about these bet types and how you can use them to your advantage below.
- Welcome Bonus: 100% first deposit match up to C$250
- Sports Coverage: Badminton, baseball, basketball, boxing, cricket, cycling, darts, esports, football, hurling, golf, handball, hockey, MMA, rugby, snooker, surfing, tennis
- Speciality: Multiple betting markets
This exclusively Canadian Bookmaker is one of the newer betting sites launched in 2022. Despite this, it has grown to become a player-favourite owing to its vast market offering, clean interface, and fast-loading mobile apps. Being focused on the Canadian market also means that you can make payments in CAD using readily available methods like Interac, Visa, Mastercard, and MuchBetter. Conveniently, you can also access the site and its customer support channels in both English and French.
- Welcome Bonus: 100% first deposit match up to C$500
- Sports Coverage: Football, hockey, basketball, baseball, MMA, soccer, tennis, golf, boxing, esports, volleyball, handball, cricket, tennis, darts, floorball, snooker, cycling
- Speciality: Top Canadian sports betting site
Initially launched in 2003 as OmniBet, TonyBet was renamed in 2009 after Tony G, a prominent poker player. More than a decade later, it stands out with its excellent coverage of both traditional sports and esports. The overall bets returns are 94%+, but for major events like the English Premier League, the NFL, and the NHL, the payout can reach as high as 97%+. Other than these events, you can place bets on many more tournaments, including Major League Basketball, FFA Cup, UEFA Champions League, Super League, and, of course, the World Cup.
- Welcome Bonus: 100% first deposit match up to C$350
- Sports Coverage: Soccer, tennis, basketball, tennis, ice hockey, volleyball, baseball, football, handball, boxing, esports, floorball, MMA, rugby, snooker, kabaddi
- Speciality: Over 2,000 events
PowerPlay has been available worldwide as a popular bookmaker operator since 2018. It is licensed and regulated by the Government of Curacao, meaning it offers a safe haven for all gamblers in Alberta. After working through the casino's well-arranged interface, you'll notice that it has a pretty decent live betting offering. As such, you can place bets on numerous sports as they unfold, including football, basketball, soccer, tennis, and handball. If you're on a schedule, you can check out the 'Upcoming Matches' schedule at the screen's top and plan accordingly.
- Welcome Bonus: 100% first deposit match up to C$500
- Sports Coverage: Baseball, basketball, boxing, cricket, cycling, darts, esports, football, golf, handball, hockey, badminton, MMA, pool, rugby, snooker, soccer, tennis
- Speciality: Many live betting options
DraftKings provides a fully stocked Daily Fantasy Sports platform that is perfect for any fantasy sports enthusiast. But how do these events work? They let you draft rosters, including your favourite athletes, and compete with other players to see whose draft consisted of the best picks. At DraftKings, you can join or create fantasy contests for multiple sports, such as tennis, golf, football, basketball, and baseball.
- Welcome Bonus: 20% first deposit match up to C$1,000
- Sports Coverage: Fantasy sports, baseball, basketball, boxing, cricket, cycling, darts, esports, floorball, football, golf, handball, hockey, lacrosse, MMA, rugby, snooker, soccer, tennis
- Speciality: Biggest fantasy sports betting site
New Alberta Sports Betting Sites and Apps
As the online betting industry continues to expand, more and more Alberta bookmakers have emerged into the betting scene. And while many of them are good, there are those whose features stand out the most, as you'll see below:
- GreatWin: Launched in 2022, GreatWin has a simple and easily navigable user interface that lets you focus on the available sports. The platform also comes with competitive odds, but it mainly stands out for its ongoing promotions, including cashbacks and free spins.
- ZetBet: ZetBet is yet another online betting site established in 2022. It offers a wide sports and esports selection with excellent filters that enable players to find their bets quickly.
- Luckster: Luckster knows exactly what Alberta sports bettors want, which is why it presents numerous sports on both Android and iOS devices. The betting features are vast, too, including live betting, cashout, and bet accumulators, to make your overall experience more exciting.
- Casinoly: With a unique ancient Rome theme, Casinoly sets itself apart in the sports betting market with an extensive esports offering. In addition, you'll find all the major leagues covered, including the World Cup, NHL, CFL, and NBA.
- 20Bet: On this platform, you will mainly find the regular tournaments and sports bettors’ hall of fame appealing. These allow you to compete with other sports bettors in Alberta to stay at the top and earn generous rewards while at it.
How We Ranked the Top Alberta Sports Betting Sites
You're probably wondering what we considered when listing our top Alberta sports betting sites, and we aren't keeping it a secret. Whenever we evaluate any site, our experts have a list of criteria they always consider. These are crucial factors that, in one way or another, impact the betting experience you'll get from a betting site. If you want to do some digging yourself, these are the factors you need to look out for.
Security, Licensing, and Reputation
Before looking into any other feature, we always check whether a site is legit and secure. We do this by looking for an online betting license from a trusted regulator like the AGLC, the Malta Gaming Authority, or the UK Gambling Commission.
Another factor we consider is the feedback from previous players to determine whether they were satisfied with placing bets at a certain site or not.
Whether a new player or veteran, you'll always have some questions when betting with real money. Our ratings take into account the number of customer support options available as well as their response speed. Some channels we expect in the best Canadian sports betting sites are:
- Live chat
As for the response, it should be within 24 hours and have professional answers.
Banking Options and Withdrawals Speed
Another area we look for is the bookmaker's cashier section, where we explore two key factors - the variety of payment options and the withdrawal speed. We love seeing Alberta sites that accept multiple trusted services such as
- Credit Cards (Visa/Mastercard)
- Debit Cards (Visa/Mastercard)
- E-wallets (Interac, iDebit, and MuchBetter)
- Bank transfers
Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum are also ideal as they are secure and provide complete anonymity.
Before featuring an Alberta bookie on our page, we also test its payout speed. As such, you'll only find sites with processing times that range between 24 hours to 5 days. And if you use crypto, expect your withdrawal to take less than 24 hours at our recommended sites.
Bonuses and Promotions
Among the biggest benefits of there being hundreds of Alberta sports betting sites is that they're all competing to attract loyal players. As a result, many of the web's bookmakers offer fantastic bonuses and promotions right from the moment you create your account. We look for the most common offers such as
- Welcome Bonuses
- VIP Schemes
- Free Bets
- Odds Boosters
It's only natural for players to look out for their favourite sports on betting sites in Alberta. That's why we have expanded our rigorous rating process to include as many sports as possible, along with their various leagues. We know that the more options you have, the higher your chances of making successful bets.
Ice Hockey, Football, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Tennis, Rugby, Golf, Volleyball, and Handball are some of the favorite sports among bettors in Alberta.
Sports Betting Options and Odds
This one is pretty straightforward. The more the sports betting options with competitive odds, the higher the chances of finding good bets. These bet types include Moneyline Bets, Spreads, Handicap Bets, Point Totals, Prop Bets, and Parlay Bets. As for the odds, we compare the odds of every platform to the industry standard and present you with those with the highest value. Remember, even 2 to 3 percent more could increase your winnings significantly after multiple bets.
In-Play Sports Betting Options
We love seeing Alberta sports betting sites with a live betting section because it allows players to keep place bets depending on how the dynamics of a match change. This section should be busy, too, with multiple events from the most popular sports, including football, basketball, baseball, tennis, hockey, and more. Moreover, the selection must be easily accessible and navigable, and its odds should be updated in real-time.
In this digital age, betting on the go has become a priority for most players. That's why we always test a betting site's performance on widely-used operating systems like Android and iOS. We expect to see a clean and well-organized interface with similar betting options and features as those on the desktop site. Also, the same customer support channels, bonuses, and banking options should be available on the app or mobile-optimized website.
How to Find the Right Online Sports Betting Site in Alberta
Whether you're a high or low roller, you'll always want a betting site that won't make you feel limited. You'll want a site that accommodates your big spending or fits your budget perfectly. The good news is if you look in the right places, you'll get a bookmaker in Alberta that matches your preference. Our guide below will help you find your ideal betting site.
Look Only for Reputable Alberta Sports Betting Sites
Before depositing any real money and placing bets into an Alberta sports betting site, ensure that the site is trustworthy and reputable. You can determine this by looking for a license from a well-recognized regulatory body such as
- Malta Gaming Authority
- UK Gambling Commission
- Kahnawake Gaming Commission
The presence of a valid license shows that the platform follows strict measures to provide transparent transactions, game fairness, and data protection.
Check Reviews from Sports Bettors in Alberta
Another factor to consider before making bets in a bookmaker in Alberta is the feedback from other players. That's because it indicates what to expect when you join a platform and tells you if it has met the needs of its users. If the reviews are positive, weigh in all the other factors and create an account if you're satisfied with the offerings—otherwise, steer clear from that site.
Check the Availability of Bonuses and Promotions
All Alberta bookmakers want to stand out from the crowd when offering promotions to attract more players. The question is, how do you know the right bonuses to claim to suit your betting needs? If you're a new player, look for a casino with a hefty welcome package consisting of a deposit match and free bets. And if you want to profit from regular rewards, go for a sports book offering daily or weekly promos, a VIP scheme, Refer a Friend offers, or high roller deals.
Look into Sports Coverage and Odds
The sports variety is also worth considering—after all, the main aim of joining an Alberta bookmaker is to bet on your favourite teams, isn't it? Typically, the best sports betting sites in Canada allow players to access multiple popular sports like football, basketball, baseball, tennis, hockey, and rugby. That gives you numerous betting options, ranging from high-risk to low-risk events.
The quality of a site also depends on the betting odds that it offers. The higher a site's odds, the more returns you can expect, regardless of the amount you bet. Alberta bookmakers refer to this feature as boosted odds, and all leading ones have it.
Check the Availability of Customer Care Services
One of the most notable aspects of a trusted Alberta bookmaker is high-quality customer support. This feature is essential when you need a professional from the platform's side to help you when you face any trouble accessing your account, betting, or receiving your payout.
Go for sites that allow you to ask questions 24/7 via phone, email, or live chat, and give you quick responses, taking only a few minutes.
The Legality of Online Sports Betting in Alberta
When it comes to the legality of sports betting in Alberta, the laws are not clear-cut. That's because only single-event sports betting is considered legal under the Canadian Criminal Code. However, no specific rules or regulations restrict sports betting at offshore sportsbooks.
Alberta- The Eighth Canadian Province to Legalize Single-Game Sports Betting
For those who don't know, single-game sports betting is where you can only place bets on the outcome of one event. Here are the events that led to the legalization of sports betting in Alberta.
Proposition to Amend On November 26, 2020, the Attorney General of Canada and Minister of Justice presented Bill C-218 under the Safe and Regulated Sports Betting Act. It proposed to amend paragraph 207(4)(b) of the Criminal Code by allowing provincial governments to determine how single-game sports betting operates within their borders.2020
Bill C-218 Passes The Senate and House of Commons passed the bill on June 22, 2021, allowing the territorial governments to conduct and regulate single-event sports betting for all sports except horse racing.2021
Alberta Legalizes Sports Betting Consequently, Alberta legalized single-game sports betting in 2022, becoming the eighth Canadian province to do so.2022
Which Canadian Provinces Legalized Online Sports Betting Before Alberta?
After Bill C-218 was passed, Ontario was the first province to legalize international bookmakers. And seeing that it hosts one of Canada's most popular NHL teams, the Toronto Maple Leafs, this was a pretty good move. That's because now they can use this organization as leverage for future partnerships with bookmakers. Following this, Manitoba and British Columbia legalized online sports betting, with both allowing the use of a platform called PlayNow for betting.
As for the Atlantic Provinces, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador joined forces to offer lottery games and sports betting. The services vary depending on the province, as each is responsible for enacting laws and regulations relevant to online betting.
PlayAlberta- The only Legal Online Sports Betting Site in Alberta
On October 1, 2020, a government-regulated betting site was launched in Alberta called PlayAlberta. It's powered by NeoPollard and is the only platform licensed by Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Commission to operate within the province. At first, it aimed at providing purely casino-based products, including slots, Blackjack, Roulette, Instant games, and Lotteries. But after Bill C-218 was passed, it went on to include a sportsbook section where you can participate in single-game sports betting.
Alberta Online Sports Betting Laws and Regulations
Alberta's gambling regulator, the Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Commission or the AGLC, is in charge of sports betting in the province, ensuring it's fair and safe. With many betting sites coming up and trying to win over Alberta bettors, the AGLC makes sure that only licensed, regulated, and secure sites can access players. So here's your chance to know what the AGLC is all about.
Gaming, Liquor, and Cannabis Act
After the government lifted the ban on single-event sports betting in Canada, the Gaming, Liquor, and Cannabis Act was amended to allow operators to offer services within the province. That is, of course, if they possess a license from the Alberta Gaming, Liquor, and Cannabis Commission. Currently, only one platform, PlayAlberta, has acquired this license, but with how things are going, we can only expect more big players in the sportsbook industry to join in on the fun.
Alberta Gaming, Liquor, and Cannabis Commission
So what exactly is the AGLC's role in Alberta sports betting laws? Well, this agency was formed by the government of the province of Alberta to regulate any betting-related activities by issuing licenses to online operators. In this way, it oversees the operation of all legalized forms of betting, including single-game betting. Though this commission has only licensed PlayAlberta so far, it plans to expand the province's betting options by regulating renowned international bookmakers in the coming months.
Top Canadian Sports Betting Sites to be licensed by the Alberta, Liquor, and Cannabis Commission
Should the Alberta Gaming, Liquor, and Cannabis Commission open up the market to international sportsbooks, here are the brands that are lined up to join:
- BetMGM: This sportsbook took its first step to join the Albertan market in March 2022 by choosing Edmonton Oilers player Connor McDavid as their newest brand ambassador.
- DraftKings: DraftKings became the 18th online operator to enter the Ontario market in May 2022. Now, plans are ongoing to expand its activities to Alberta within the next few months.
- FanDuel: In June 2022, the NFL expanded its partnership with the daily fantasy sports giant, FanDuel, to include Canada. The sportsbook was then legalized in Ontario and is now working to become licensed by the AGLC.
- PointsBet: Rick Christiaanse, PointsBet's CEO, announced earlier this year that this sportsbook is highly drawn to the Canadian market. He went on to say that after Ontario, the company is looking to Alberta as a potential destination for high-impact investment.
- Bet365: Bet365 is one of the largest sportsbooks worldwide, available in many countries, including Canada. It was among the first sites to join the Ontario market and has aggressive expansion plans to become the dominant player in Alberta.
Legal Sports Betting Age in Alberta
Legally speaking, you must be at least 18 years old to place bets in Alberta, regardless of whether you're using an online or land-based Alberta sportsbook. That's why platforms operating in this province will always ask you to provide a picture of your ID as proof of age when signing up. You must also agree with the site's terms of conditions, including confirming that you're above the legal age. If found betting while underage, your winnings could be withheld, or worse, you'd end up serving time in jail or a juvenile institution.
Are Online Sports Betting Winnings Taxed in Alberta?
When it comes to the matter of online betting taxes in Canada, it's always good to confirm with a professional. However, as it currently stands, unless you're running a sportsbook in Alberta, the provincial government won't tax you.
The situation that would lead you to be taxed is if you make a living by betting, like a pro Alberta sports bettor. In this case, your betting earnings will be subject to the standard taxation rates. But if your online betting activities are purely recreational, you don't have to worry about any of your winnings being taxed.
Is Retail Sports Betting Legal in Alberta?
In Alberta, sports bettors have both online and retail options available to satisfy their legal betting needs. But since there are no operators to offer retail betting within the province directly, you can instead place in-person bets in convenience stores or gas stations.
These locations must be approved by Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis for your bets to be legal. You can look up the stores that are authorized to offer this service on the commission's official website.
Play at the Best Legal Alternatives to Retail Sports Betting in Alberta
According to reports by Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis, there are 25+ land-based casinos and race tracks. Here are some excellent alternatives to retail sports betting:
Century Downs Racetrack and Casino
The Century Downs Racetrack and Casino is located at the Rocky View County, 260 Century Downs Drive. It satisfies Alberta players' betting needs with 600+ slot machines, electronic roulette, and even off-track horse race betting. But even with all these offerings, you should note that you can only access this establishment from 9:30 am to 3:00 am.
Casino Calgary is among Alberta's most popular and biggest operators, with up to 57,000 square feet of gaming space. Here, you'll find more than 800 slot machines, 22 video lottery terminals, and a poker floor open 24/7. Other than these, you'll find over 20 classic table games, including roulette, blackjack, baccarat, and craps.
This is also one of the most famous casinos in Calgary. Cash Casino is an excellent betting option located in Blackfoot Trail, Calgary. It offers 500+ slot machines, video lottery terminals, and table games like blackjack, baccarat, roulette, craps, and poker. Like Century Downs Racetrack and Casino, this establishment operates from 9:30 am to 3:00 am.
Casino Edmonton is yet another operator that offers its services between 9:30 am and 3:00 am. It offers premium adult entertainment with up to 800 slots, 28 video lottery terminals, a 12-table poker room, blackjack, craps, 26 baccarat tables, and roulette. This casino is at 7055 Argyll Road NW, Edmonton, AB T6C4A5.
Century Mile Racetrack and Casino
Century Mile Racetrack and Casino is a renowned casino in Edmonton. It also offers a horse race betting establishment. The casino is located in Leduc County, next to Edmonton International Airport. And though there are no table games here, slot enthusiasts in Alberta can choose from 500+ machines and 22 video lottery terminals. There's also a decent selection of horse race betting options, including Quarterhorse, Standardbred, and Thoroughbred racing.
Offshore Online Sports Betting in Alberta – The Best Options to Consider
If you choose to go with offshore operators, there are plenty of reputable bookmakers to place your bets in. These sites are as good, if not better, than the sites available in Alberta. These offshore sites have built a solid reputation for themselves as top bookmakers and are enjoyed by bettors worldwide. Below are some of the best options you can go for in Alberta.
When it comes to fantastic offshore sites for Alberta sports bettors, 888 leads the way. This platform ensures their odds are the most attractive in the industry, meaning you can expect sizable returns. In addition, the sports coverage is massive, featuring 34 different sports, ranging from classics like soccer, football, basketball, lacrosse, and rugby to more niche games like snooker.
Launched in 2000, Bet365 is among the most popular and well-established betting sites in Alberta and worldwide. The company owes this success to its massive sports coverage, including 14 popular sports, ten esports, and hundreds of casino games. You can place bets using these options from anywhere through Bet365's mobile-optimized app for iOS and Android devices.
With over 30 market types, Betsafe offers a pretty decent coverage of the most popular sports and their most popular leagues. That means you'll find tournaments like the NBA, NFL, Champions League, and World Cup. On top of this, the Alberta operator has competitive odds, fantastic customer support, and a user-friendly interface to provide a smooth experience.
William Hill has a rich sports betting history, having been founded in 1934 as a betting house. Today, it has established itself as one of the most secure top Alberta sportsbooks with a license from the UK Gambling Commission. Alongside the vast betting market it offers, you'll also find some of the most attractive odds, going up to as high as 7% for popular games like basketball and football.
Luckster is among the newest sportsbooks, having been released to the market in 2022. But don't let this fact fool you. The operator has solidified its position as an excellent option for sports bettors in Alberta by offering over 15 sports to place your bets on, with competitive odds, hundreds of markets, and multiple bet types.
Playing in Offshore vs Legal Sports Betting Sites in Alberta
Most offshore Alberta sportsbooks have been around for longer than PlayAlberta, so they have more experience in the field. That's why you'll find the offerings at this site less diverse than those of international platforms. Since the offshore authorities are also a bit less stringent with the bookmakers, they also have more features than PlayAlberta. As such, they offer hundreds of markets, multiple bet types, boosted odds, live betting, and even compatible mobile apps.
Online Sports Betting Opportunities for Alberta Sports Bettors
When it comes to Alberta sports betting options, you'll never run out when placing bets at our recommended sites. Below we'll discuss the sports coverage, live betting, and all the different bet types you can expect to find at the best sportsbooks for players from Alberta. Let's dive in!
Alberta bettors often place bets on the most popular sports as they are more familiar with their gameplay and teams. We've singled out some of the most-wagered on sports in Canada here;
This sport's fans can make their match predictions count in numerous basketball leagues, including the NBA and EuroLeague. That gives Alberta sports bettors dozens of options in most of the best sportsbooks operating.
Being one of the most popular sports among Canadians, many bookmakers offer competitive odds and bonuses for this sport. You'll also find major hockey events, like the CHL and NHL.
Baseball events attract a huge fan base, which is why it features in almost all Alberta bookies. You'll find great odds in popular events like the Major League Basketball and Mexican Baseball League.
Fans can place bets on hundreds of major leagues and events after signing up at Albertan sportsbooks. The hype of being able to live-stream famous tournaments like the NFL and EPL also makes this game among the top options for betting.
Alberta sports bettors have a chance to place bets on the world's most popular soccer leagues, like UEFA, La Liga, and the World Cup. Generally speaking, this sport has the highest odds and the most markets in most Alberta bookmakers.
Types of Sports Bets
What makes sports betting even more exciting is that you can make several types of bets. At top Alberta bookmakers, you can easily increase your chances of winning by choosing the right betting options, some of which reduce your risk. Next time you want to place a sports bet, here are the options you can consider.
Parlay bets are placed on a combination of multiple bets to win. For them to be successful, every wager, or 'leg,' that makes up the parlay has to win. So if you have a five-leg parlay and only four of those bets win, you lose the entire wager.
Future Bets are wagers placed on the future result of an upcoming tournament. That can include bets on the total number of wins a team will have and a championship league winner.
Point Spread Bets
With the point spread bets, Alberta sports bettors place bets on a team's margin of victory, not the final result. Say the favourite is priced at -6.5, your wager will go through if the team wins by more than 6.5 points.
Of all the sports betting types, moneyline bets are the simplest to place and, as a result, the most common. They involve predicting what team will win in a match, and if your team wins, your bets succeed.
Teaser bets are placed like parlay bets in the sense that it involves tying up several bets. The difference is that you wager on a spread of results instead of one specific score.
Prop bets, also referred to as the proposition, doesn't directly require you to predict the final score. Instead, you place bets on aspects like a player's performance or the team that will score first.
As the name suggests, these bets involve betting on the total score to go over or under a specified score. Note that for these bets, you'll be betting on the combined number of points for both teams participating in a match.
Is Live Sports Betting Legal in Alberta?
Live bets are those that you place after a game begins. What makes it fun is that the odds change in real-time based on how the game unfolds, giving you the chance to adjust your bets accordingly. Alberta has no laws against this feature, so all of the leading sports betting sites offer it. Some of the bookmakers even go as far as to combine it with live streaming so that you can watch your favourite matches in HD as you place your bets.
Play at the Best Canadian Sports Betting Site for Live Betting in Alberta
Though almost all Alberta betting sites offer live betting, some are definitely better than others. We’ve listed five of the best bookmakers who offer this service below:
- Betsafe: Offering live betting for most international soccer leagues from countries like England, Portugal, and Mexico, it’s no surprise that Betsafe is among our top picks. The Alberta bookmaker complements this feature with a live streaming option, so you can watch your favourite events as you wager.
- Royal Panda: As well as loads of popular sports events, Royal Panda allows live betting on an impressive amount of e-sports. As such, you can place bets on games like Dota 2, CS:GO, and League of Legends, as you watch the events from Alberta.
- Bet365: Bet365 offers an incredible amount of live sports betting options, including basketball, ice hockey, tennis, and cricket. It even has exclusive live streaming rights for the English FA Cup, meaning there are certain matches that you can watch and bet on.
- TonyBet: There are up to 21 sports that you can place live bets on in TonyBet, meaning you’ll have dozens of options. You’ll see the most popular events listed at the in-play homepage’s top, so all you need to do to place your bets is click on the event.
- Mr.Play: Not only does Mr.Play have a fun ‘Moustache’ branding, but it also boasts a serious amount of live sports betting markets. Here, you can wager in elite tournaments like the Premier League and the UEFA Champions League.
Are there Alberta Sports Betting Apps?
Alberta sports bettors looking to wager on the go can confirm their picks from anywhere with online betting apps. The good thing is that most Alberta bookies offer the same products as those on their desktop versions, including sports coverage and betting options. And if you opt for a site that is yet to launch a dedicated app, you can still place bets from your mobile device via your browser.
Play at the Best Canadian Mobile Sports Betting Apps in Alberta
During our research to uncover the outstanding mobile apps in Alberta, we tested the platforms on Android and iOS. Our aim was to present you with recommendations that load fast, have numerous betting opportunities, and offer a sleek interface.
- Sports Interaction: One of the most outstanding aspects of this Alberta bookmaker's mobile app is its excellent user interface and design. You can easily access all its sports from Alberta, including the rare ones like pro lacrosse and squash.
- Spin Sports: Spin Palace is among the more successful Alberta online casinos, offering a fully stocked sportsbook section through their Spin Sports section. You can access this site through its dedicated mobile app on your iOS or Android device.
- LeoVegas: First of all, we'd like to note that LeoVegas won the 'Best Native App' award at the ERG Marketing and Innovation awards in 2017. So, you can expect only top-tier services on this platform's mobile app, complete with a flawless user interface to make your experience smooth.
- BetMGM: While some Alberta bookies provide separate apps for different sections of their markets, BetMGM has the same app for all regions. As a result, you'll find some of the most competitive odds for multiple games here.
- BetRivers: Though BetRivers is a relatively new player in the Alberta market, it has aggressively pushed its services in North America. Among its most attractive incentives is its Alberta sports betting app, which you can use to access features like live betting, live streaming, and even a casino section.
So, how do the above instant-play sports betting apps work? You can start by downloading and installing the APK file from the website. If you already have an account, enter your username and password to access it. And if you're new, follow the simple registration steps, and you'll be done with this process within just a few minutes. Once you're in, you can access all the sports markets and place bets as you would on the desktop site.
Is Fantasy Sports Betting Legal in Alberta?
Fantasy sports betting is where you create imaginary teams for specific sports. Then over the gaming season, an online fantasy betting operator will reward you points based on the performance of the players on your team. In Alberta, fantasy sports betting laws are grey at best. That's just to say that as long as you're using a licensed site, engaging in this activity is considered legal.
Play at the Best Canadian Sports Betting Sites for Fans of Fantasy Sports
Canadians enjoy fantasy sports betting because it allows them to keep track of the games and players they already love. Let us take a brief look at the leading fantasy sports betting sites you can place bets at in Alberta:
- DraftKings: DraftKings is one of Canada's biggest fantasy sports sites, allowing players to create teams in numerous sports. It works by collecting 10% of the entrants' fees for buying into leagues and keeping the remaining money in a pool to reward the winner.
- Power Play: Launched in 2018, PowerPlay is among Alberta's newest fantasy sports betting sites you can place bets at. Here, you can make teams with players in major leagues like NFL, NCAA Basketball, NBA, and the Champions League to win rewards.
- Bet99: The best thing about this fantasy betting platform is that it focuses more on the Canadian market. As such, you can place bets using various convenient banking methods, including credit cards and e-wallets, to deposit and start betting in the most popular sports.
- FanDuel: FanDuel is a daily fantasy sports betting site that debuted in 2009. New players in Alberta can receive a welcome offer of up to C$1,000 as long as they deposit at least C$10.
- William Hill: With the experience of offering excellent sportsbook services for over two decades, William Hill has now entered the fantasy sports betting market in Canada, allowing players to place bets in sports like football, soccer, basketball, and handball.
Is eSports Betting Legal in Alberta?
Like fantasy sports, eSports betting is legal when using a legit offshore Alberta bookmaker. So always ensure that you place bets in a site that has a license from a recognized regulatory body to abide by the laws and keep your funds safe. Once you verify a platform's legitimacy, you have the option to pick from popular games like CS:Go, Dota2, and League of Legends.
Play on the Best Canadian Sports Betting Sites for eSports Fans in Alberta
Since eSports are a fairly new category in sports betting, finding the best sites to play them might be a hassle. However, there are top Canadian sites that have quickly caught up on the trend and offer top eSports games for Alberta players. Some of the sports betting sites to join if you are an eSports fan include:
- BetUS: BetUS is a very popular bookmaker in the North American market, having served the region since 1994. It features a rich selection of eSports games, offers multiple convenient deposit options, and has a license from Curacao Gaming Commission to ensure player safety.
- Thunderpick: Thunderpick is unique as it's a crypto-specific platform supporting an online casino and sportsbook. That means you can quickly deposit anonymously to place bets on various eSports like King of Glory, NBA2K, and Call of Duty.
- Parimatch: Licensed and regulated in Curacao and boasting thousands of players worldwide, Parimatch was established in 1994. It offers a nice mix of eSports betting opportunities, which you can access from anywhere in Alberta via its mobile apps.
- CloudBet: Established in 2013, CloudBet is licensed in Curacao and Montenegro and has a wide variety of banking options, including cryptos. After depositing, you can start betting on top eSports games like Call of Duty, Dota 2, FIFA, and League of Legends.
- Bet365: Although not yet licensed by AGLC, Bet365 is on the list of the handful of bookmakers approved by AGCO in Ontario. That means you can expect a highly secure experience as you place bets on your favourite eSports.
The Most Popular eSports Games in Alberta
There are many great eSports options to bet on, but some of them stands out. These are games with millions of streams and regular tournaments with great rewards. You'll also find these games on most betting sites, and they have many betting options. Alberta players can be assured of a fantastic time by playing the following eSports games.
League of Legends
This epic game produced by Riot Games has been the world's most popular eSport for a long time. During its annual World Championship tournaments, millions stream the games and place LoL bets at the top betting sites.
Most bettors in Alberta consider it a surprise to find Rocket League as an eSports option in a bookmaker. But that shouldn't be the case, as many sites offer it and feature multiple tournaments for fans to spectate and bet on.
This title is popular for producing the world's highest-paying esports tournaments, totalling a whopping C$224.7 million. Every year, it breaks records for its rewards which is why thousands of sports bettors in Alberta find it a lot of fun to watch and place bets on.
Since its release in 2010, StarCraft II has awarded over C$33 million to its players. But the game's bettors have won even more, as they get to bet on popular tournaments like WCS Global Finals and the World Electronic Sports Games.
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm was released in 2015 by Blizzard Entertainment. Apart from the Heroes of the Storm Global Championship, you can also place bets on top players like Won Ho Jeong, Jung Hyeon Lee, and Jae Won Lee winning.
Different Types of Bonuses and Promotions Offered by Alberta Sports Betting Sites and Apps
Alberta sports betting sites offer a wide range of bonuses to attract new players and retain the existing ones. Some of these offers are awarded when you sign up, others are given to loyal Alberta sports bettors, and you can receive others for making specific deposit amounts. We'll explore some of the most lucrative bonuses in Alberta below and tell you where you can claim them:
Almost every Alberta bookie offers a welcome bonus when you create a new account and make a qualifying first deposit. Usually, this bonus consists of a percentage match of the money deposited up to a specified amount.
For example, the promo is a 100% deposit match up to C$100; making a C$25 deposit will earn you an extra C$25 to wager with. You can find some of the biggest first deposit bonuses on sites like MyBookie, BetMGM, and BetOnline.
As the name suggests, these bonus types allow you to place your bets without risking any of your money. You can claim them for free without making a qualifying deposit, and if you win, you keep the earnings.
Some top Alberta bookies offering this bonus include Betvictor and William Hill.
Odds boosts allow players in Alberta to explore different bet types and markets with more attractive odds. With this offer, most casinos increase your odds on certain events by around 2-4%, boosting your potential returns significantly.
You can take advantage of this bonus at Alberta bookies like FanDuel.
Match Play Bonuses
These promos consist of bonus funds and they are offered to players in Alberta based on how an event unfolds. Typically, operators provide it to work like a coupon you can only use once.
William Hill and Bwin are some Alberta sites you can use to claim this offer.
Cashback bonuses return a portion of a player's total losses over a specified period, say weekly, monthly, or yearly. The more money you use to place your bets, the higher the cashback bonus you can expect to receive. This offer isn't commonly available, and most Alberta bookmakers tend to reserve it for high rollers.
Some of the Alberta sites where you can claim this offer include Betway and Ladbrokes.
High Roller Bonuses
If you make consistently large deposits and bets, you'll want to take advantage of high roller bonuses. These are usually a percentage of your deposit amount, for example, an Alberta bookie can offer a high roller bonus of 50% on deposits of over 1,000.
You can find this offer in 888Sports, Betway, and LeoVegas.
Also referred to as VIP bonuses, these are special offers reserved for loyal sports bettors in Alberta. They involve earning specified points whenever you place bets and climbing up a tiered system. Once you reach the top levels, you can enjoy perks like frequent cashbacks, personalized customer services, free bets, and more.
BetNGM and PointsBet are among the most popular Alberta bookmakers offering this bonus.
How to Find the Right Sports Betting Bonus in Alberta
From the hefty welcome bonuses to well-tailored VIP schemes and boosted odds, it would be a shame to miss out on lucrative freebies. But how do you find the right ones for your betting preferences?
Look for Reputable Alberta Sports Betting Sites
If an Alberta sports betting site is reputable, it means it only has positive feedback from previous players. One of the best ways to determine whether a site is trusted and has attractive promotions is to read online reviews. Another important factor that a site's reputation depends on is its license provider. Some well-known regulatory bodies to look for include the Malta Gaming Authority, the UK Gambling Commission, and the Government of Curacao.
Check Wagering Requirements
Before withdrawing any winnings from your bonus, you have to wager an amount equal to or higher than the value of your deposit a specified number of times. This is what Alberta sports betting operators refer to as the wagering requirement. If, for instance, a site sets this value at 10x and you deposit C$20, you'll have to spend C$200 before you can withdraw any bonus winnings.
Though this value varies depending on the bookmaker, the most acceptable values range between 10x to 40x.
Check Other Terms and Conditions
Whenever you find a bonus that you like, always ensure you go through the terms and conditions that define them. Though reading them can be pretty dull, they usually highlight some key points that will tell you exactly how good a bonus is. These points include the cap on maximum winnings, time limits set before the bonus expires, and the specific odds that the Alberta bookmaker requires you to bet on using the offer.
How do Alberta Sports Betting Bonus Codes Work?
Most Alberta sports betting operators use bonus codes to keep track of the different promos. You can enter the code for the bonus you want after depositing for the platform to allocate the offer to your account. Usually, you’ll find the promo codes on the site, but for promotions like the refer a friend, you'll receive the code from your friend.
Play at the Best Alberta Sports Betting Sites That Utilize Bonus Codes
You can claim bonuses using promo codes at these top online operators:
- DraftKings: DraftKings is among the fantasy sports giants offering its services in Alberta. It provides a welcome bonus of a 20% deposit match up to C$1,000 plus C$50 free bets that you can claim using a bonus code.
- PointsBet: What sets this Alberta bookmaker apart from other sites is its unique betting type, called PointsBetting. To participate in these special bets, ensure you use the bonus code outlined in the site’s promo section.
- Unibet: Unibet is wildly popular in Alberta for its excellent selection of international sports markets. It sets new players off with up to C$500 worth of free bets, and to claim them, you only need to enter the bonus code when signing up for an account.
- BetMGM: New Alberta sports bettors at BetMGM can use bonus codes to receive a risk-free bet of up to C$1,000. On the other hand, existing members can use their promo codes to claim offers like parlay profit boosters and more risk-free bets.
- Bet365: New players get a C$30 welcome bonus when they signup. Besides the welcome bonus, the platform also offers other promos for regular bettors to claim.
Deposits and Withdrawals- Recommended Payment Options at Top Canadian Sports Betting Sites
When using real money, checking the banking methods available on an Alberta sports betting website is essential. You need to ensure that the options available are only those that are secure and readily available. As such, they should include bank cards, e-wallets, bank transfers, and even cryptocurrencies.
The Best Deposit Options to Use in Canadian Sports Betting Sites
For most Alberta sports betting sites, the minimum deposit limit ranges between C$5 and C$20. On the other hand, the maximum can go up to C$5,000, but this can differ depending on the payment method. Here are the most used deposit options:
Visa: Hands down, Visa is the most popular credit card payment option for players worldwide. Because of this, it's available on almost all Alberta sports betting sites, making it a very convenient option. When using this method, expect instant deposits at a very low fee.
Mastercard: Next on the list of the biggest credit card companies that casinos accept for depositing is Mastercard. Like Visa, its charges are small, and depositing is almost instant. And your security is ensured throughout the payment process, with encryption technologies and anti-fraud systems in place.
Neteller: Neteller is an e-wallet that provides online payment services on domestic and global fronts. To get started, you must create a free Neteller account and fund it from your bank account or card. After this, you're all set to make free instant deposits at your chosen Alberta sports betting site.
Interac: Interac offers you a chance to pay through direct bank transfers or an e-wallet. The platform's e-wallet version is called Interac Online, and its deposits are instant. With Interac e-Transfer, the bank transfer option, you'll have to wait a bit longer, but there will be guaranteed bank-level security.
AstroPay: AstroPay is a virtual prepaid card that lets sports bettors in Alberta securely deposit without revealing their financial details. Once you create your account and fund it, the service will provide you with a one-time card number. You can then use this number to initiate instant payments to your chosen Alberta sports betting platform.
The Best Withdrawal Options to Use in Canadian Sports Betting Sites
Not all deposit methods are accepted for withdrawals. That being said, here are some of the top withdrawal options you'll find on Alberta sports betting sites:
Visa: Since Visa has a wide reach among sports bettors in Alberta, online bookies also allow it for withdrawals. Unlike deposits, this method's withdrawal process takes longer. You should note that operators don't allow players to cash out using another person's card as an anti-fraud measure.
Mastercard: Like Visa, you can also use Mastercard for deposits and withdrawals at most Alberta sports betting sites. The same fees as for depositing apply during this process, and you can expect it within days. You must verify your account when you make your first withdrawal for security purposes.
MuchBetter: E-wallets like MuchBetter allow players in Alberta to withdraw funds without having to disclose any financial or personal information. That's because they act like a third party between your betting account and bank account or credit card. Withdrawals to the wallet don't have fees, but you'll be charged for transactions made to your funding account.
Bitcoin: Bitcoin withdrawals especially come in handy when you want your transactions fast because this method's processing period takes less than 24 hours. In addition to its speed, you can count on Bitcoin's anonymity, security, and low fees.
iDebit: Like any other e-wallet, iDebit withdrawals take 24-48 hours to complete. The fees are also considerably lower than credit cards and bank transfers. This method acts as a middleman, linking your Alberta sports betting account to the bank, so you must set up an iDebit account before using it for transactions.
Responsible Gambling Tools Available to Alberta Sports Bettors
All of the leading bookies in Alberta offer responsible betting tools for you to use whenever necessary. These include time limits, betting limits, and self-exclusion. Some of these sites will require you to contact customer service to activate the tools via email, phone, or live chat. On the other hand, others will outline the tools, and all you'll have to do to set them up is click on them and follow the procedures.
Alberta Responsible Gambling Organizations
If you prefer to talk to a professional about your online betting habits, you can reach out to the Problem Gambling Resources Network Alberta. The provincial government set up this organization to help gamblers keep their spending on sports betting within their budgets.
Problem Gambling Resources Network Alberta
The Problem Gambling Resources Network Alberta is a program that is registered to offer betting awareness by the Canada Revenue Agency. It educates players on how to utilize the responsible gambling tools of various Alberta bookmakers to ensure they use only what they can afford for betting. In addition, they provide therapy services for Alberta sports bettors who develop emotional distress, such as anxiety and depression, due to gambling addiction. You can contact the organization via phone at (780) 461-1259 or visit them at 3312 Parsons Rd, Edmonton AB, T6N1B5.
How to Get Started? Your Step-By-Step Guide to Registering and Playing at Alberta Sports Betting Sites
Registering at top Alberta sports betting sites is easy and will only take a few minutes. And though the process might vary from one site to the other, it follows these general steps:
Step 1: Find a Reputable Betting Site
- Do your research and choose a fully licensed Alberta sports betting site.
- Alternatively, you can choose from any of our recommended sites. They're all trusted and licensed, so your safety will be assured.
Step 2: Verify Your Account
- Load the site and click on 'Sign Up.'
- When creating your account, the site will ask you to submit photos of some documents like your ID and utility bill to verify your identity.
- Once the site verifies your identity, set your login details, that is, your username and password.
Step 3: Make a Deposit and Claim Bonus
- Go to the cashier section and select a deposit method.
- Follow the method's on-screen prompts to enter your deposit amount and confirm your payment.
- To claim the welcome offer, use its bonus code when making this transaction. The Alberta bookmaker will credit the bonus funds to your account if your deposit amount is above the minimum.
Bet on Your Favourite Sports Teams – The most Successful Professional Sports Teams in Alberta
Alberta boasts a good variety of popular teams that online players can place their bets on to show their support. Even though majority of the teams play hockey, we have one team that's an outstanding football club and fans of the sport can place bets on it. Here are five of the top most successful teams that originate from the province.
Edmonton Elks – CFL
- The Edmonton Elks are among the three community-owned teams that compete in the Canadian Football League (CFL).
- Besides attending most CFL tournaments, it is famous for winning the Grey Cup more than any other team in Canada, except for Toronto Argonauts.
That means you can count on this team and its players when placing bets because high chances are, they will win.
Edmonton Oilers – NHL
- Edmonton Oilers are a professional ice hockey team that competes in the National Hockey League (NHL) in the Pacific Division of the Western Conference.
- It is one of the two NHL franchises in Alberta, the other one being the Calgary Flames.
This close proximity between the two teams makes their competitions fierce and, consequently, more exciting for Alberta sports bettors.
Calgary Stampeders – WHL
Though they're no longer active, the Calgary Stampeders were a professional hockey team competing in the Western Hockey League. After finishing 7th in their first season, they became even more encouraged to participate in tournaments. The team went on to win 8 out of their next 12 seasons, which made them an excellent option for Alberta sports bettors.
Calgary Flames – NHL
As previously mentioned, Calgary Flames are the second of the NHL's two professional ice hockey clubs. Their journey in this association started during the 1972-1973 season, and since then, they have provided decades of entertainment to sports bettors in Alberta. That's why you'll find this team on most of the best Canadian sports betting sites, with its games having attractive odds.
Edmonton Oil Kings – WHL
- The Edmonton Oil Kings are a major junior ice hockey team in the Western Hockey League.
- Between 2011 and 2022, this team won four WHL championship titles, including three against Portland and one against Seattle.
- They've also won one Memorial Cup tournament, defeating Guelph with a 6-3 score.
These facts make them one of the most attractive teams to wager on.
Famous Professional Athletes from Alberta
Becoming a high-level athlete can be a challenging task for many of us. Despite this, some Alberta players have managed to achieve impressive feats within the professional athletics world, and we've highlighted some of them below:
Karl Tilleman- Basketball Player
- Karl Tilleman was a professional player from Alberta who participated in the basketball Olympics twice.
- Among his accomplishments is the record for scoring ten shots in one basketball match.
Helen Vanderburg- Swimmer
- Most sports bettors in Alberta know Helen Vanderburg from the 1978 FINA World Aquatics Championships, where she won the gold medal in synchronized swimming.
- Apart from this, she is famous for partnering with Kelly Kryczka to win in the duet tournament at the 1979 Pan American Games.
Bill Gadsby- Hockey Player
- Bill Gadsby was a professional ice hockey player, holding down the defence position for big teams like the Chicago Black Hawks and Detroit Red Wings in the NHL.
- By the time he was retiring from his 20-season career, he was the top hockey scorer in Alberta with 568 points.
Lanny McDonald- Hockey player
- Born in 1953, Lanny McDonald is a former professional hockey player from Alberta for popular teams like the Calgary Flames and Toronto Maple Leafs.
- During his 16-year career, he played in hundreds of games in which he scored 400+ goals.
Pros and Cons of Online Sports Betting in Alberta
Regardless of how exciting and lucrative sports betting is, it also has a few disadvantages. Here are the pros and cons of sports betting in Alberta:
- Numerous betting sites are available
- Top Alberta bookies offer generous bonuses
- You can place your bets on a wide selection of sports
- Alberta bookmakers' mobile apps are available
- Operators are fully licensed and regulated
- PlayAlberta is the only AGLC-licensed site
How do Alberta Online Sports Betting Laws compare to iGaming Laws and Regulations in Other Canadian Provinces?
As previously mentioned, seven provinces have legalized single-game betting in Canada other than Alberta. But how do their laws for participating in this activity differ? Find out below:
- British Columbia: Since legalizing single-game betting in August 2021, British Columbia offers these services on PlayNow—Canada's largest bookmaker. The regulatory body responsible for licensing this operator and all land-based casinos within the province is called the British Columbia Lottery Corp.
- Manitoba: The Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corporation also permitted players to place single-game bets on PlayNow in August 2021. Since then, this site remains the only provincially regulated online option for sports bettors.
- New Brunswick: Like Alberta, New Brunswick also has one legal sports betting option, ProLine, regulated by the Atlantic Lottery Corporation. Apart from this site, you can participate in offshore betting, with multiple international sites like 888Sports and Betway available.
- Newfoundland and Labrador: Having the Atlantic Lottery Corporation as its regulatory body, Newfoundland and Labrador legalized sports betting in 2021. And like New Brunswick, the only licensed operator in this province is ProLine, to offer both online and offline betting services.
- Nova Scotia: Single-game sports betting arrived in Nova Scotia in February 2022, after the provincial government finally gave the Atlantic Lottery Corporation the go-ahead. Since then, players could place bets online at ProLine or in-person at the designated gas stations or convenience stores.
- Ontario: The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp also began offering single-game betting in August 2021 via the ProLine platform. Since then, Canada's most populous territory has approved 40+ online sportsbooks, including DraftKings, PointsBet Canada, and Bet365 Ontario.
- Prince Edward Island: Laws concerning sports betting in Prince Edward Island are enforced by the Atlantic Lottery Corporation. The province's residents can enjoy online betting on ProLine Stadium or offline betting at any ALC-approved retail stores.
What the Future May Hold for Alberta Online Sports Betting Market?
Now that the C-218 bill has passed, Alberta sports bettors can access multiple betting leagues and markets to place single-game bets. They can do this via PlayAlberta, the only AGLC-approved site, or on offshore Alberta bookmakers. In an effort to keep pace with provinces like Ontario, the provincial government of Alberta is planning to allow for two commercial operators within the region. Also, there have been talks of licensing some of the most popular internationally operating brands like BetMGM, Bet365, DraftKings, PointsBet, and FanDuel.
- Is online betting legal in Alberta? Though the laws aren't 100% clear, no rule bans online betting within Alberta. So as long as you gamble at an offshore site or PlayAlberta, the activity is completely legal.
- What impact did the C-218 bill have on sports betting in Alberta? Bill C-218 allowed for the amendment of paragraph 207(4)(b) of the Criminal Code, leading to the legalization of single-game sports betting.
- Which leading offshore bookmakers can I use in Alberta? Alberta's leading international bookmakers include 888Sports, Betway, DraftKings, BetVictor, Bet365, Sports Interaction, and PowerPlay. We've outlined these and many more top Alberta betting sites above, so feel free to pick one.
- Are online bookmakers safe for Alberta sports bettors? Most offshore Alberta bookmakers are licensed by well-recognized bodies to ensure maximum player protection. On the other hand, the AGLC regulates the only Alberta-based betting site, PlayAlberta.
- What sports can I wager on in Alberta bookmakers? Online betting sites cover a wide range of popular sports, including American football, basketball, ice hockey, baseball, and soccer. You'll also find several e-sports and fantasy sports options.
- What bonuses can I claim at Albertan bookmakers? The most generous rewards you can receive from Alberta bookies include the welcome offer, loyalty deals, high roller promo, boosted odds, free bets, and cashbacks.
- What payment methods can I use to deposit and withdraw in Alberta? You can use credit cards like Visa and Mastercard as well as e-wallets like Neteller, MuchBetter, and iDebit. If you prefer faster options, try out cryptos like Bitcoin.